Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Epiphany

Before I knew it
there were wrinkles
taking up residence
by my smile,

stray gray hairs
curling wildly from
my sideburns,

my aching, crackling
knee joints
betrayed me,

the memories
stuck somewhere in the back
require a more complicated
set of cues
to loosen them
from their
hiding space.

I needed longer arms
to read the small print
on my blood pressure
medicine

and I understood
the necessity of
euphemistic language like
“erectile dysfunction”

and I smiled because
these were proof
that I beat the odds

and have lived
longer than I thought
I would,

long enough
to be an old man. 

3 comments:

  1. I really like this.

    a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:52 PM

    I didn't read any of my friends' posts for today's PA prompt before writing my own. I chuckled when I read this one...we were on the same wavelength! I enjoyed yours!! Here's mine:

    When did it happen!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here's to living to be an even older man, and continuing to grace us with your words!

    ReplyDelete