Pages

Wednesday, December 07, 2011

While You Were Gone (Prompt: While You Were Gone)


First, I tried reading that book
you got me last month
but kept getting distracted
by the sheer overwhelming 
silence.

Then I decided to make sure
everything in the kitchen
put away
and the floors were swept
so you wouldn’t have to do it
when you got home.

I watched TV for five minutes
and since there was no one
to comment on it with,
I shut it off.

After that,
I ate the rest of the cookies
in broad daylight
not having to sneak them
because you were here.

Finally, I laid on the bed
and I smelled your hair
on the pillow,
closed my eyes
and daydreamed.

While you were gone
I just waited for you
to come back.

3 comments:

  1. Love this! I felt the anxious waiting. Nicely paced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the best poems I have read to this prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was just so good, so real. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete