Pages

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

Always Looking Forward

The anticipation,
the waiting,
the hunger:

these things drive me,
propel me
because I am
always looking forward
to the next thing,
the next meal,
the next high.

Ultimately,
it is an optimistic view
that holds promise
for everything
that hasn’t happened yet.

I have no defense
for this faith,
so don’t ask.

I just keep punching,
keep writing,
keep trying.

No one can live this life,
wear these mistakes
like I can.

Yes,
one day I’ll be wrong
and there’ll be no more
breaths,
smiles,
embraces,

but until then
I breathe in the sweetness,
exhale the sadness,
live with hope.

4 comments:

  1. "until then
    I breathe in the sweetness,
    exhale the sadness,
    live with hope."

    This is just dang good advice, Sir. I am trying to do the same. This life is hard. God is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The opening and closing are so strong --- the sandwich effect. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your strength. Hope, optimism make life bearable. Pessimism is destructive, darkening the place we seek to free ourselves from, adds to the burden.
    Kind regards
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  4. whatever troubles you bear, you bear with grace ~

    ReplyDelete