Pages

Friday, November 17, 2017

Bra Straps Akimbo

The end of a Thursday,
she’s undressing
in the closet, and
I’m in the adjoining
bathroom
vaping, listening to
America Top 40 re-broadcasts
from 1981,
my senior year
in high school.

All Jarreau’s
“We’re in This Love Together”
comes up,
and I remember
wanting
so desperately
to have someone to love
back then.

I wanted to be able
to hear that song
and think of her –
whoever she was.

Instinctively,
I rise and
go to her
her blouse off,
bra straps
akimbo,

she is casually,
authentically
sexy.

I tell her,
“don’t fight me”
as we melt
into each others’ arms,
as we have
countless times
during the previous
decade and a half.

We close our eyes,
hold each other,
sway to the music.

Anita,
thank you for making
this dream come true,

a dream
I never had
before.

5 comments:

  1. This is so perfect. "Don't fight me" is my favorite part. I love how you make me love Anita through your poems. I believe you, without a doubt --- through your words --- that she is naturally sexy, not having to try.

    The closet was the perfect setting for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! IT was a moment I had to capture.

      Delete
  2. Oh, great title as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a moment in time that needed a chronicle, this was it. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete