Pages

Wednesday, October 04, 2023

Hopefulness

Cynicism

is the most unforgiving

proof of gravity.


I arrive at

the pinnacle 

of the Hill of Hope,

and I stayed up there 

for a minute,

catching my breath,

basking in 

the infinite blue above 

and the intricate gray below.


As I stood there

high above the doubt

I struggled to conquer,

gusty winds 

threatened my balance 

trying to throw me

back down

to negativity,

nihilism and inertia.


Although it may

temporarily topple me,

I know my purpose:


hopefulness

remains the duty of anyone

-everyone-

who possesses it,

to be its evangelist,


a star in the darkness,

an embrace for the weary,

the gentle voice saying

“come in.”


9 comments:

  1. Susan5:01 PM

    Wow! The gravity sure would keep us down! You make the imagery vivid, the pinnacle desirable, the job of hopefulness the supreme act of kindness. Thank you for this image, this hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I needed this poem today and it proves everything you say in its lines - hope for the weary, and the need for us to be hope's ambassador. Wonderfully done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed. Now more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "a star in the darkness,

    an embrace for the weary,

    the gentle voice saying

    “come in.”....A beautiful hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shawna4:53 AM

    I love the last two stanzas so much. What beautiful philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mosk, I like the idea that hopefulness remains the duty of everyone who possesses it. Yes, I do think, though sometimes we lose our way in cynicism, we HAVE to keep hope alive or we will wither and die!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this poem so much! I relate to standing on the hill of hope, buffeted by winds. It is hard to stay up there. I LOVE the last two stanzas, hope being our duty, "the gentle voice saying 'come in'". Just beautiful, Mosk. So glad you linked at What's Going On?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The opening line is such a hook! 💖💖 Gorgeous work done, Mosk!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh for that gentle voice beckoning! Lovely - profoundly loving and lovely.

    ReplyDelete