Pages

Wednesday, May 09, 2012

As the Bible Clearly Says

Thousands of
bible colleges
crank out
millions of
amateur theologians
and future pastoral staff
who will plant
new churches
(or take over
the payments
on others).

Hundreds of translations
over two thousand years,
with countless misspellings
endless interpretations,
and more re-interpretations,
cynical willful omissions
and unintentional mistakes
all lead to a document of
dubious
empirical
reference.

Presently,
there are hundreds of versions
inspiring thousands
of small home group bible studies
led by well-meaning believers
who have never read
much less translated
the original texts
in classic Greek
or Hebrew
or Latin
or Aramaic

but will dutiful try
to guess what
the Book of Revelation
means

and some might try
to calculate His return
(despite Jesus’ admonition
not to do that).

The only phrase
that might actually be
an accurate translation is

“Jesus wept”

only because it’s
two words,
with less room
for interpretational error.

So
if you ever hear
a supposed bible expert say:

“As the Bible clearly says”

as though the meaning
and truth of the Bible
were self-evident
and obvious,

please know,

that person
cannot
be trusted.

15 comments:

  1. ...and THAT's the God's honest truth. Don't get me started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puhleeze! Don't get *me* started either. The original draft ended with "that person is full of shit" but calmer, more rational minds prevailed.

      Delete
  2. Stands up and gives you a round of applause. "Hear, hear" It is the most misunderstood book there has ever been. Misinterpreted, misused and caused more deaths and division than it was ever meant to. I so agree with you on this Buddah.
    Well said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! Now for my encore, I shall deconstruct the latest issue of "The Watchtower."

      Delete
  3. Mosk ... well-said, and well-put. Bravo. I remember reading Revelations as a kid and not trying to figure out what it meant but just digging it, like science fiction. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vince. Great way to view Revelations: as pre-science fiction!

      Delete
  4. This is excellent. I'd like to share this with my pastor :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'd be honored if you did. I'm too scared too share it with mine.

      Delete
  5. Poignant! Emphasizing faith-based, not necessarily fact-based. I also think of those who forgo seminary as they are "called" to plant a church. Especially fond of the "Jesus wept" point and the ending. Thanks, Mosky. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. Yes, I'm proud of that "Jesus wept" line myself. This is probably more of a polemic than a poem, but I appreciate all the kind words. - Mosky :)

      Delete
  6. Awesome. Some people are so quick to shove the bible in your face, but I wonder if they really have a clue what it's saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caren! I find most believers are biblically illiterate!

      Delete
  7. I have read the book of Revelations. I do not think that God meant us to interpret it. Probably someday we will all understand....but I don't think it will be in this life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no book of Revelations.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the correction - I corrected my error in the poem! Shows you how much I paid attention.

    ReplyDelete