Pages

Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Two Lessons, Too Late (Prompt: epigram)



“The way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.” – Oscar Wilde

I knew it was wrong
when I did it
but I did it anyway
because she promised me
“no one will ever know.”

Being an ethical contortionist
I trusted my logic
and believed my rationale,

but when he called me
at my office
screaming
that he knew what I did,
where I lived
and that he was going
to shoot off my testicles
with his shotgun,

I learned two lessons:

first,
it is impossible
to talk your way out of
a problem with a party
unwilling to listen,

and
second,
never sleep with
another man’s wife,
schmuck.

8 comments:

  1. Ha! This is great! Not morally speaking of course, but it is an entertaining piece full of useful information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:09 PM

    As always, flawless!

    I am here playing catch-up. What a wonder world of words I have ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the choice in epigraph and the accompanying poem. Enjoy #novpad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the quotation you chose...and your poem, gut level honest which I like loads!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Day 1...posted this link. Thanks for participating, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Buddah it has been far toooooooo long since I have laughed literally out loud at your unique humor. Thanks to Paula for as Claudette put it "reeling you in" realllllly!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:53 PM

    ethical contortionist--I like it. I'm glad Paula let me know about your site. NCDT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Great poem. That title and opening stanza really pulled me in (I imagine the way "she" did with that cheating man). ;-)

    ReplyDelete