Pages

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tools


These words,

differ little
from the crayon butts
that scribbled something
indecipherable,

the photographs
that tried
freezing reality,

the keys
that rose and fell
in stumbling arpeggios,

the scratch
of the strings
on my $20 guitar
when I was 13.

They were just
the tools
I had at the moment

to help
capture the parade,
and maybe
understand
that which may be
a cosmic
absurd joke
after all.

Still
while I love my tools,
I cannot forget
that after all
the songs,
poems, cartoons,
jokes,

my life is more than
these things.

My life is to be
a vessel
bringing
understanding,
compassion,
the overflowing chesed

from above
through me
out in all directions,
infinitely.

When I remember this
perspective,

I am properly
humbled

and happily accept
that I am a tool.

[For #OpenLinkNight at @dversepoets.com - my favorite place for poetry on the internet.]

21 comments:

  1. that close just wraps it up beautifully... i constantly have to remind myself...so thanks for this mosk...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes we could all use a little gentle reminder.

      Delete
  2. it is a good perspective to keep...without heart what do the tools add up to really you know....smiles...i am a tool as well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - I'm glad you appreciate sophisticated humor.

      Delete
  3. That's wonderful! I love your site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah without much thrown in, may as well rust away in the tool bin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved then then and now of this--especially how you closed this--beautiful write!

    ReplyDelete
  6. perfectly said. the ending definitely drove it home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:44 PM

    Clever ending. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:29 PM

    Thank you, poet friend. I've been feeling like a broken bent tool lately. Maybe He can even use those. :) - deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love this, Mosk. You are a tool and you help many people, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully expressed. I like very much the idea that we are tools... So true.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:13 PM

    Really, a profound and humbling reminder...We are tools, certainly...and we have that responsibility not just to wield pretty word colors with our crayons...but bring clarity, magic and wonder. At least, this is the way I read you now. Like this a lot, Mosk...thank you! ~jackie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous ending, you spun this down so nicely to those last words. And so filled with truth. Congrats for making it through national poetry month!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ..good realizations... smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this, it made me think about life in a different way. I especially liked the end. Well written, my friend, well written.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it, Mosk (as usual). It really captures how we may have different ways to express life, but the best way is to live it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seeing from all angles. Good work, Mosk!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful closing : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your words made me think too.

    We are but a tool - what we fashion with ourselves fashions the route our lives will take...

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete