Pages

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Skeletons

The skulls
the bones,
lie in the dirt
in the desert,
among lonely cacti
against hot,
unforgiving skies.

They were once
alive with ambition,
inflamed with passion,
wracked with worry.

Now,
they are but
silent reminders,
mute witnesses
to the sheer folly
of empty bluster
and shiny objects.

Skeletons
bring the wisdom
that even the richest
among us,
those most privileged,
will share
the same
exact fate
with the humble.

Who will leave
a richer legacy,
the humble
who shared freely
the fruit
of their grace

or those
who lived
in opulent vanity,
clutching every crumb
to their bosom
lest it be stolen?

Skeletons
remind me
of what is
important.

10 comments:

  1. Yep, the richest and the poorest share the same fate. Something to think about. Great write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of the "Day of the Dead", the Latin celebration and feasting each Oct. 30. Indeed, you are so correct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of the "Day of the Dead" celebration..indeed, you are correct! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Skeletons are intriguing and I also see them as reminders of what is important. I remember, as a child, wanting to touch a skeleton, mesmerised by something that usually lies beneath - skin, clothes, the ground. I never wondered about their ambitions and passions until I saw a TV programme about Italian catacombs. I also read about the lovers of Valdaro, a pair of 6,000 year old human skeletons discovered in a Neolithic tomb near Mantua, facing each other and with their arms around each other. I look at skeletons differently now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness this is good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gayle Walters Rose6:06 PM

    Yes, in the end, we all end up the same. The playing ground is evened. I love your last verse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both blood and bone is very much the same... so much more common between us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes they do share the same fate. Hope we remember what is important!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for always paring it down Mosk. It’s whats important 👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2:57 PM

    You shouldn't hate poetry, LOL, good job on this one.

    ReplyDelete