Pages

Tuesday, November 01, 2022

Why November (Day 1 Prompt: Start or End Poem)

After the slow grind 
of loneliness and dialysis,
she left earlier this year
and is finally reunited
and celebrating 
Dia de los Muertos 
with my father
after 23 years 
a widow. 

November was
their anniversary month
and it was the start 
of my origin story.

November is when 
I begin the Christmas music,
the gift-buying,
the general nostalgia
for a childhood 
that was inevitably 
sad, hopeful
but still together.

Why November?

Working backward, 
I calculated this was 
the time of the year 
I was conceived.
It’s when I started.

It’s not the same this year.

This November,
I am moving on 
with fewer people, 
more memories,
and an ever-growing list 
of things I wish 
would come back.  


3 comments:

  1. Buddah!!! So excited to see you writing! I feel the melancholy here, deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is so sad. I am do sorry for your loss. This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well hey there - lots of November writing coming out. I broke my 7 year drought this year too! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete