Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Three Songs for the Rain

When the clouds 
are dark like dirty cotton,
and the air
is heavy with moisture,
in my mind I hear 
that tikki-tikki-teek-teek
of the raindrops
and I hear
Tina Turner's voice
"I can't stand the rain
against my window,
bringing back sweet memories."

As the rain gets stronger
and the sheets are
purposeful and unrelenting,
I remember seeing
Prince and The Revolution
in 1985 
and I remember hearing them
from the cheap seats singing
"let the rain come down,
let the rain come down"

Being a 
southern California native,
after an hour
I've had enough,
and I am taken back 
to a Terence Trent D'Arby concert 
in 1988 
when he sang
"rain, rain,
go away, go way,
rain, rain,
come back again 
some other day."


2 comments:

  1. only been in the MPLS airport. but did see, the lost summer in college when my gf was slowly breaking up with me, Purple Rain in a matinee with her. funny how you remember some things from so long ago. ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. you had me at "clouds dark like dirty cotton..."

    ReplyDelete