Pages

Monday, June 13, 2016

Poetry Template

First,
start with the title:
it must be
directly related
to the content
of the Poem -
or not.

Then begin the Poem
with a phrase
of tempting ambiguity,
a detail so compelling
that the reader
will follow you
as you pull back
to reveal its unexpected
milieu.

Continue by making
an arcane allusion
to a 17th century English essayist
or by adding a sly reference
to one of the
lesser known Beats
(nothing from Ginsberg,
Kerouac, Burroughs or
Bukowski, please) -
this will establish
your lit cred
among the cognoscenti.

Include densely worded
passages, overstuffed with
arbitrary and completely insular
imagery
to buttress your emerging status
as a solitary, enigmatic genius.

Bring it on home
with an unexpected punchline
that either disorients
or brings a cynical smirk
to the morally ambiguous,
postmodern reader.

Send it out to the same
twelve friends
who always read your work
and always love it.

Repeat as necessary.

12 comments:

  1. The prescription for a blogging poet...lol It does seem to be a reality at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this a poem or a check list? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Except my title is always the last thing I write...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, guess, I have been doing it all wrong, these many years that I've been writing poetry. Such is life, for a self-taught poet, who hates following conventional rules, like the plague. Must remember these rules, so I can break then, every time, Mosk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grinning. This is exactly it! I especially love establishing litcred among the cognoscenti......of which, I have none. LOL. Love your humour, Mosk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup!! I know people like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. luv the sarcasm; im smiling
    (✿◠‿◠)

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  8. LMAO over here -- so, so good. I want to send it to every English grad I know! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha.. I have to agree with Kerry... the title has to come last. Also... add a totally unrelated image that change the context of the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess I've been doing it all wrong, too. I seldom include a lit reference. I suppose that means I've got no cred. That's okay. I'll keep doing it my way and leave this template to the newbies. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:35 PM

    Well, I have the lit cred, but never used a template. For me, each poem is an Individual waiting to be met and explored. However, I thoroughly enjoyed your template, even laughing out loud at moments, but then nodding my head in agreement. And I thank you for both responses and all that happened in between them.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7:59 AM

    hehe, oh my oh my. Yes yes lol

    ReplyDelete