Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

November 29, 2002 (Prompt: Day and Evening)


The yacht could only hold
50 people,
so it was a necessarily
small affair.

We told everyone
to be there at 3:45,
as we were sailing at 4 sharp.

Predictably,
we didn’t leave the dock
‘til 4:09.

Minutes before sunset,
my deceased father arrived
in the form of a
rainbow in the distance
and blessed the ceremony.

I looked at
the assembly of faces
some representing my past,
and some representing my future,
with the calm confidence
that comes from knowing
the wisdom of one’s decision.

Then,
my new family came down the aisle,
one by one
until she took her place
beside me.

We listened
we assented
we kissed
we laughed
we ate
we danced

and as evening draped
the Newport Harbor,
Christmas lights twinkled
their silent code of cheer
and good fortune,
inaugurating
the best time of my life.

3 comments:

  1. How lovely. You tok me right there with you. I love your father's appearance via the rainbow. Every time I see a rainbow, I think of my mother. This sounds like such a beautiful and joyous event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buddah, this is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:55 PM

    Your dad has rainbow. Yes. I received my mom's blessing in a dream. So important... and the perfect moment for you. Love you, brudda mine! Ameleh
    http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2011/12/02/the-day-i-saw-an-angel-fly-lyrics/

    ReplyDelete