Pages

Sunday, November 06, 2011

A Predictable Headache (prompt: addiction)


She is a beautiful,
tragic corpse
these days,

but I can recall
halcyon days
just her and me

riding the highways
no map
no empty pockets.

We just kept calling
out to each other
and we kept answering
“sure, why not?’

It was only after
many, many nights

did I sense her
disenchantment

and the part of her
that came alive
from my touch
became perfunctory

a dull routine
a predictable
headache.

Impulsively
I said goodbye
and divorced her
very publicly
to help gird my decision

and while some doubted
her sway over me,

I knew the truth,

and I still visit her
in the liquor aisle
of the grocery

almost smug
at my 21 years
of sobriety,

but still
afraid to
step back into
her embrace.

3 comments:

  1. So glad to get to come by and check out how your poems are coming along! Wonderfully! Yay! Thanks for sharing them with us. I'll be back . . .for inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fantastic and realistic response to the prompt. Congrats on the 21 years. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Buddah!!! Just wow.

    ReplyDelete