Pages

Friday, November 11, 2016

My Soul Shook

"So I'm sitting there
in the chapel,
holding my
91 year old
Grandma Trini
who doesn't
speak English,
who is sobbing
in Mexican tears,
mourning the taking
of another son.

I'm at a loss
because I love her
and I cannot
say the right thing
to calm her,
to comfort her.

This is the woman
who loved me and
let me sneak cookies
from her kitchen
and was always
happy to see me,
what could I do
to help her?

From somewhere
inside
and completely outside,
I said to myself,

"God, please help me.
Help me find
the right thing
to say
to make her feel better."

Then
a competing voice
in my head said,

"Shmuck,
you're an atheist."

I didn't fully
comprehend it then
and I still don't,

but right then
my soul shook,

and it hasn't
stopped shaking
since."

14 comments:

  1. You, an atheist? This must be made-up.

    la la dear spirit man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This actually happened in September 1994. La La Mosk

      Delete
  2. Wow! I love "it hasn't stopped shaking since."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a lot had happened since then. Thanks

      Delete
  3. We have a granddaughter, young, who went through that. I'm glad, but you would think she had listened to a Hell fire damnation sermon to start it going.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but I think the fire and brimstone coverts have a shallow, fear-based faith.

      Delete
  4. Your work is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. just the right mix of awe and wry and wonder ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never lost faith in God, but religion so wounded my family I can never return to it. I'm afraid the shaking I have been doing lately stems from anger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God and religion have a tenuous connection at best. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. I totally relate to this, Mosk.

    ReplyDelete