Pages

Friday, November 18, 2016

Thankful

"No,
I don’t know you,
but you know me.

Every year,
right around Thanksgiving,
the LA local news
show the homeless,
lined up and waiting
for Thanksgiving dinner
at the Fred Jordan Mission.

I’m that guy –
I’m always the one they
talk to.

Yeah, the homeless problem’s
pretty bad out here, but
the way they film it,
you know,
they way they cut it,
it looks like
there’s camaraderie here,
and that it's almost fun.

they show
lots of people
and tents,
maybe some dogs.
They make it look like
all we’re missing is
the s’mores.

And because it’s LA,
it’s never snowing or raining
so it makes for a nice
“this year
let's all be Thankful
for what we've got,
and be thankful
you’re not one of
these poor wretched souls”
story.

They make it feel like
by just watching the story
about the homeless,
that you’ve actually
done something
to help.

Well,
I don’t mind
going on camera
and talking about it-

Right!
I probably qualify
for my SAG/AFTRA card
as many times as
I been on TV –

but it’s not getting better.

No, it’s getting worse, and
I’m getting discouraged, and
it just keeps getting
colder."

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:32 PM

    Smart writing, man. I especially like these stanzas:

    "they show
    lots of people
    and tents,
    maybe some dogs.
    They make it look like
    all we’re missing is
    the s’mores."

    "They make it feel like
    by just watching the story
    about the homeless,
    that you’ve actually
    done something
    to help."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've written exactly what happens. Just as true in Portland as L.A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I fear it's become a go-to holiday story.

      Delete
  3. This is perfect. Absolutely true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent. You really nailed something here that I've felt but never described before:

    "They make it feel like
    by just watching the story
    about the homeless,
    that you’ve actually
    done something
    to help."

    ReplyDelete