Pages

Friday, November 04, 2016

Nowadays, You Can’t Just Pluck an Apple,

“This is a beautiful apple.

It’s a Granny Smith,
green and tart and juicy.

I’ve always loved them
and I haven’t had one
in years.

They put me in mind
of when I was a kid
and we’d pluck ‘em
right off the tree.
Nobody cared
who they belonged to.

There was
nothing better.

Those were
the days before
everything changed,
and everything became
more
complicated.

Nowadays
you can’t just
pluck an apple,
you’ll get sued ,
or worse yet,
arrested.

Everybody’s got their
precious rights.

It ain’t like
the old days

No,
that’s why I did it.

I wasn’t trying
to hurt anybody.

I want America
to be great again.

How was I
to know
there was someone
inside that church?

It was dark inside.

Well,
I guess it doesn’t matter
anymore.

Please,
just do me a favor
and make sure you vote
the right way,

because they won’t
let me vote
anymore.

Yeah, it’s ironic.

This is a fine way
to treat a true patriot
like me.”

6 comments:

  1. #fuckyouamericahasalwaysbeengreat hahaha that cracked me up. Time for the over zealous 'patriots' eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:06 AM

    Your writing gives me chills.

    Everything about this screams of your skill. I dub you poetry president. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Neb Jo! I literally started and didn't know where it was going.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6:55 AM

      That's the only way I can write. :P

      Delete
    3. Yes, I agree. Whenever I try to write a poem and "plan" the ending, it always ends up less inspired.

      Delete