Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

First Thought, Second Thought (Prompt: Second Thought Poem)

I’ve never read Kerouac
but I’ve heard his motto was
“First thought, best thought.”

I guess that’s why
he’s a genius.

Often I set my ideas
up on the high dive
only to find
    - splat!-
no water in the pool.

I own my mistakes
because
at the time
I never
made the
second best decision:

every mistake
seemed like
a good idea
at the time.

My first thoughts
are rude and messy,
combustible and inelegant.

The second thoughts
are the polite ones,
the properly socialized
and educated ones.

The first thought
may be me,

but the second thought
is Me.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:18 PM

    Mosk...
    I don't know what you're talking about "not liking this"...it is good! I love the "splat" reference. And yes--I too often get in the way of the good "second" thoughts/decisions.
    ~Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. delightful, and in someone's words, a mistake-proof life is not worth living

    ReplyDelete
  3. Second thoughts often get in the way of what we feel is the " real", the "true self me".... Just maybe all that makes a "me" is the integration of all aspects of self.. or not....

    Enjoyed the poem, as usual your unique ironic voice is as distinctive as .....fill in your own horn-warning-ships, Siren's song, father's voice in a thunderstorm....." you're good at such things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete